FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:31 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DrPSB
I was speaking with a friend of mine about this case, and he told me a few months ago he was denied boarding because of a weight and balance issue. He was not offered anything in the way of compensation by the gate agent, and when he insisted he should get something a supervisor was called who gave him a voucher for United. I suspect that investigation is going to show that gate agents have been prompted to not disclose the actual compensation required for IDB, and instead have been directed to push these vouchers.

Should be interesting.

I'm also interested in seeing how a suit is settled with the airport police, because if airlines can no longer leverage the threat of physical force to have passengers cave in to the offers, that will completely take away their ability to force passengers to disembark due to situations such as these.

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/tra...h-go-for-cash/

Above is an article discussing problems with the actual value of these vouchers.
Unless it was a very small aircraft and therefore exempt from IDB compensation for weight and balance issues, the friend can still demand the cash. He should be able to do this either if he wasn't advised in writing of his rights to compensation or if he didn't sign a statement accepting the voucher as his compensation.

If UA has been advising GAs and supervisors to behave this way, it's evil.