FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lounge Access Changes?
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:01 pm
imapilotaz

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Even getting a Club room does not mean you get Club Lounge access. It's been discussed on here already that CP Deira Dubai will provide a Club room for Spire, but you still have to pay for Club Lounge access.

Up until December 2016 at least, I was getting a Club room and Club Lounge access at that particular hotel. Since the beginning of the year the Club Lounge access has been withdrawn and is now chargeable for everyone.

It's essentially a lessening of Spire benefits (which were never documented properly anyway).

On previous stays the hotel had confirmed via email that I was getting Club Lounge for being Spire. As of January they say that IHG's new policy is not to provide Club Lounge for free.

Hence, I see that as a downgrade of Spire benefits. On my last visit to Dubai I stayed in a non-IHG property as I can't see the value of Spire any more.
Yup that's the new policy change for Asia... remove all access to the lounge unless you pay for a lounge room (no just get upgraded into it) or buy access.

It's a shame that IHG cares so little to top tier... with my credit card, I'll still be PLT, so I'll just use that for 10 nights a year + burning my points. I'll switch the other 50+ paid over to Marriott to try to keep my PLT status there.