FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New regional business class in 2019
View Single Post
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:49 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I think it's worth pointing out that SQ's definition of "regional" stretches the envelope quite a bit. For instance, many red-eyes to Australia are operated by the 333/772, which are quite dismal for 7 hour overnight flights. On flights of those lengths you won't find CX using the regional J (slash PY).
Interesting point I knew....But hadn't thought of until your post put it together.

I *hate* CX's regional J seat. But, I guess CX deserves kudos here:

*on CX medium haul routes you can know whether you're "entitled" to Cirrus. All Middle East, Australia, MLE, India, CMB, etc. Destinations where, years past CX sent regional fleets from time to time, and as SQ often does. Now you know: buy a CX J seat to these places, and get a flat bed guaranteed. And CX does not swap aircraft on these flights. The gaping hole for CX is the red-eyes to/from Japan, SIN, CGK and Japan. And I avoid these like the plague because a bed isn't guaranteed. But CX definitely deserves kudos for giving us a reliable J flat bed to those other places I mention. And it affects my purchasing decisions.

[adding later: I will be blunt. There is 0 chance I paid for an ex-India redeye if CX didn't guarantee a flat bed, or ex-CMB, or even ex-MLE, even though on holiday. I just am not a fan of redeyes without a bed. I would've booked a connection and scheduled meetings, or taken a day flight. At least for me, the flat bed medium-haul guarantee makes me give CX more business. whereas with regional flights, I don't mind not having a perfect bed. but the current CX regional seat is just bad all the way around]

Last edited by QRC3288; Apr 18, 2017 at 8:55 pm Reason: added the last paragraph that says "adding later"