FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:06 pm
alanslegal

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Airline X wants to buy your seat. In doing so you will have to overnight at airport Xray and miss a day of work tomorrow.

I value my time. So I would need compensation for a lost day of work or lost day of leave. I would need reasonable accommodations for the night plus meals since I won't be home, ground transportation, and a flight accommodation for at least the same cabin for the next days flight.

If the airline wants the seat they need to step up and make it right.
Exactly, everyone has a price and as many have mentioned before this post, a few more hundred bucks and someone would have jumped at the offer. (I would have taken $1,400, maybe $1,200) That said, United decided to use local law enforcement muscle, put a passenger under huge duress, threatened jail time, threatened to be physically thrown off the plane, and then we all saw it happen - was manhandled, lifted over two seats then head slammed into the arm rest, lost teeth, suffered heavy concussion, bleeding profusely, carpet burns to the back and more. Can't wait for a court to determine whether the removal was in fact lawful, I doubt it is pursuant to IDB. That leads to breach of contract, as well as give rise to a tort claim. Hopefully lots of punitive damages awarded too but no doubt this will settle out of court.