FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ovolo Southside, Hong Kong, Design Hotel [Master Thread]
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:03 pm
matravelguy

Originally Posted by helvetic
Holy crap, I recognize this hotel. I went there for the rooftop bar a few months ago… which was ridiculously awesome. I'm very glad to hear it's joined SPG. I wonder if there's any elite recognition here… but considering how stylish the place is and how cheap, I might just give it a go over my usual nice-but-pricey W. And with the brand new MTR line, of course—last time I was stuck in the tunnel traffic a whole hour on my way back.
I mean, it is a Design Hotel, so not really? I stayed last month and while they said at check in that I'd be getting 500 points, that's all you get at any Design Hotel. They did give me free breakfast since it was my first time with Ovolo but they also said that next time, I can only get free breakfast if I book through the hotel's website (not SPG) directly. They promised they'd give me the SPG points anyway if I list my SPG number in the reservation comments, but didn't say whether I'd still get stay/night credit.

I thought it was very interesting that SPG "partner" hotels apparently don't like it when you book through SPG. Sorta makes you wonder what the point of the affiliation is.