FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:31 am
Baze
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
This is very depressing to read. If it's true about the entrenched employees in control why would anyone want to lead the company. And how can it ever Change?

Ugh!
Looking at the timespan it is quite obvious that the older entrenched employees are passing on their toxicity to the younger generations of employees which keeps perpetuating a toxic culture. Or maybe the board just doesn't know how to hire a CEO that is actually customer centric, which pisses off the employees or an employee centric CEO which can piss off customers or a CEO that is shareholder centric which can piss off both employees and customers. Seems it is a no win situation. And if the shareholders are happy then the board did what they are supposed to do, make shareholders happy so why would they change the CEO unless a public event occurs which forces their hand. Smizek and the Port Authority flight is a prime example. I have a feeling the board was being tolerant of Oscar because of the backlash of Smizek. And I wouldn't be surprised if Oscars days are numbered in the boards eyes and they will once again hire a CEO that is more shareholder centric.

But until they get rid of the toxic culture that has perpetuated for decades between employees and management and customers I see nothing changing. Alaska has been a breath of fresh air since I switched in October after 20 years with UA and many of them as a 1K. Took one trip on UA because UA was way cheaper than everyone else SFO-IAH-SFO recently so I was forced to purchase it by corporate TA and it was bad. Delays of 2.5 hours one way and luggage didn't make it the other way.

So, if nothing else, the Dao incident, with all the other ones in the press piled on in the last week may spell the end of the Munoz era. But who UA get? Will they be better? Will they be worse? History does not bode well and I fear the toxicity will continue. And as long as their prices are competitive the price conscience flyers will continue to fly UA.