FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:58 pm
Artpen100

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I doubt that the FA's will become reluctant to call for help with a clearly out of control passenger, in part because when someone is out of control the other pax probably want the troublemaker off the plane just as much as crew do. I was on an AA flight last summer where there was a woman clearly under the influence of some controlled substance (she reeked of booze) all through boarding she was screaming at the crew, blocking the aisle, etc. Finally the Captain asked her to leave, then she buckled herself in. A few minutes later LEO's came on board and eventually had to carry her off the plane. Then the rest of pax applauded. Any video taken of that incident would show a screaming, belligerent pax with whom the crew made multiple attempts to calm down before they escalated and multiple attempts by the LEO's to persuade her to leave on her own 2 feet before they physically removed her. She was put into a squad car on the tarmac after being taken off the plane.

Not every forced removal is comparable to what happened in this case.
No, but the incentives are currently aligned so that they don't get rewarded for making the right decision, but can be hugely punished for making the wrong decision. I think that means they will try to avoid making any decision.