FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:31 pm
justhere

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Baze
That's the crux of the whole thing. Once they got their reservations at last minute, that is what put it into the oversold situation where they needed 4 "volunteers". Flight was not oversold until the 4 crew member reservations hit. And that was at last minute. Which is why the new policy that no crew reservations can be booked if within 60 minutes of flight
I realize that. I was responding to a poster that said the crew were not positive space. To wit:
Originally Posted by prestonh
If they were positive space before boarding began then 4 pax would not have been boarded to begin with, they would not have had seats. Why doesn't everyone understand this: The employees were assigned the flight after the pax boarded, legally and physically.

Additionally 'must ride' is a company designation, not a legal one that overrides the priority of a passenger's legally held reservation per 14 CFR 250.2a
I think people do understand that. I'm not sure that's the problem. You are correct in that if they were positive space before boarding the GA could have stopped 4 people from boarding. However, that doesn't mean they weren't made positive space at some time between the beginning of boarding and the last passenger to board.

I'm not sure anyone has said that any passengers boarded illegally. That's not the issue.

"Must ride" is an industry term and doesn't directly have anything to do with the CFR you keep quoting. You pretty much proved that in what you wrote. You stated that "[I]f they were positive space before boarding began then 4 pax would not have been boarded to begin with, they would not have had seats." In other words, if the crew were positive space before boarding began and that created an oversale situation, then they could have priority over a passenger's legally held reservation. Nothing in the CFR you point to says they couldn't.