FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Exit Row - exclusions
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:10 pm
'andad

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by floridastorm
Sarcasm aside, there are many people over 55 who are not as capable as people who are younger. Most 55 years old's do not have the strength, agility, and quickness of a 20 or 30 year old. That's just a fact of life. Yes, there are a few over 55 who are physically fit. But, most, even if physically fit do not have the same abilities of a younger person. That is the reason that woman should never be seated in exit rows. They just don't have the inherent strength to handle aircraft emergencies. The female flight attendants go through extensive and rigorous training and even they may have trouble with strength related emergencies. Of course, we are all brave and nonchalant until the plane goes down.
I did the course at Cranebank when I was 69, as a normally fit person ( ie not a sport player, but not overweight either). I managed the overwing door perfectly well. It's certainly heavy and the mass is not symmetrical. The most difficult part is when pulling the release handle, the heavy door releases suddenly and you tend to shoot back with it. I have asked before on FT why BA don't use the easy top-hinged door that I have seen on other airlines. Maybe it has other disadvantages like not being a plug door. I consider I am a safer candidate for the exit row than many pax I see there, with headphones on throughout the briefing, bag on the floor etc