FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:42 am
sbrower
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by STS-134
The mistake wasn't in inconveniencing four passengers. The mistake was in which four they chose to remove. As I've said many times, they should take bids from everyone on the plane for the minimum amount of money they'd be willing to get off the plane for. This is how free markets figure out who stays and who goes. Take the lowest four bids and you'll probably have people who are retired, have flexible schedules, have an extra day at their destination before they have any obligations, etc. And they'll be happy with the extra money and will get off the plane on their own two feet, without viral videos and social media PR disasters.

Hell, even if I've got a vacation and and reservations at a restaurant it's really hard to get reservations at on the first night, I'd probably be willing to get off the plane for $5000. And I'd go willingly, knowing that the $5000 would pay for all of the hotels I'm staying at for 1-2 weeks.
{M}ost people (maybe not you) would care whether, when they got off, they would need to wait 1 hour or 1 day or 3 days, for example. So, while VDB is the thing that will be fixed, it isn't likely to be a bidding app.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2017 at 12:55 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)