FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Three trips in one: the 10-day 60,000 mile RTW challenge with CX J, QR F/J, BA J/Y
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:39 am
G-CIVC

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Flight 10: BA287 LHR-SFO Club World

Okay, I really gonna speed up my writing over this relatively free weekend! Last week I made a quick trip back home over the weekend (yes, HKG) and it definitely disrupted my schedule a bit.

Anyway, this was a sector that I actually felt quite excited beforehand. It seems that I have more pictures for this flight than my QR segments later! Yes, BA Club World... don't roll your eyes yet.

My family used to fly (just only) a bit between HKG-LHR ~8-10 years ago and we patronized BA CW from time to time. At that time, it was a competitive product on the 744 UD and we all loved it. In fact, my username is the aircraft that flew me to London in my first ever J class trip when I was 10! Fast forward to my recent years between HKG and the US, I haven't got a chance to fly BA for a long long time so out of everything perhaps I was just curious to see, can a product have fallen down the drain (or have been edged out) by that much, that we see all the eye-rolling and name-calling (like 'best PEY') for this once-revolutionary product? The other one was the psychological expensiveness of this flight to me, as I had to use my own hard-earned AAdv miles plus a YQ tag of ~$300, which I could not get reimbursement from my 'hosting party' at SFO.

Back to the futile attempt of live posting, or at least I tried. After deplaning from the DUB-LHR A321, I went through fast track and recleared security which moved much more quickly compared to last night ex-LHR. I was back in the Galleries South complex in no time and planned on 'officially' exploring Galleries First after my surprise extended visit last night (which I didn't accomplish much).

But before that, I stopped for a bit in the common areas within the lounge complex. Yes, it is so large that there are some 'lobby' areas that lead to different lounges within Galleries South - F lounge, J lounge, CCR and spa/showers. While this seems extremely impersonal, it is quite impressive to me at the same time as it really shows you the tremendous scale of operations that BA has at LHR.

A more serious look at GF. First I grabbed some lunch: the offerings were satisfying to me. Yes it really is not HKG level but as a US-based flyer this is already very solid ^

At lunch hour today the crowds were less overwhelming than yesterday evening, and this time I was able to get a server and ordered a 'BA Burger' off the a-la-carte menu. While waiting for it I got a glass of Heidsieck from the self-serve bar in the sitting area. I then wrapped up with profiteroles from the buffet. All of these items were passably decent.

The views over the terrace were much more stunning in day time.

An understanding reaffirmed over the past week was that a 3-hour layover is way too short with lounges and all that. Especially at LHR T5 and boarding an A380 today, which means the layover is even shorter, perhaps by a whole hour.

So I quickly headed to Galleries Club upstairs to take a look, another foreign place for me (yes, I flew in the days when they were still at T1...)

Similar to my first impressions of GF the evening before, I found this lounge to be similarly crowded, dull and tired. I once again reminded myself as much as CX calls BA their idol and follows their footsteps, we are still very blessed to have wonderful lounges apart from the consistent personalized service onboard.

As I said, time was ticking down and I went to get a shower at the 'shower complex' which you access from the 'corridors' and not the F/J lounges. A shower suite was available. It was every bit as clinical and unappealing as I expected, but the extra shock was point 2 here along with the lack of a 'lip' between the shower stall and the changing area:

I pondered a while and almost wanted to walk up, but with some clever method I couldn't remember, I eventually hung everything up with much effort and really kept the floor clear. It turns out that it was overkill, ha ha ha.

Like the lounge itself, meh, I succeeded in taking a shower, but this was anything but luxury, even the showers at LAX QF F/OW J which I despise were better. No amenities virtually (dental kits, facial cleansers etc) - again, HKG flyers are so blessed to have items like all-you-can-use Aesop facial products in J lounges.

After I was done it was around T-70 which I should ideally be heading to the gate. But one last thing was the Elemis spa treatment that I had reserved when I arrived earlier, and this was the only time available. Since I had an 11 hour flight ahead, why not.

It was a 15-minute facial treatment which I found to be quite soothing, and comparable to the Pier F at HKG (of course, not the ambience/warmth). But the latter is also pretty meh per se and since it's complimentary, I thought it was nice here. I was worried that my face and hair would be sticky and all that especially after a shower, but I actually felt relaxed and refreshed ready for my flight. Also got some samples to take home

Afterwards, 'Go To Gate' was glaring on the FIDS so I made a dash to our gate C64. I arrived to see F/J and elites mostly boarded. Grrrrr. With that, I wasn't able to snap too much on the way:

Our bird G-XLEI taking us to SFO. Next to it was another 388 XLEG headed for LAX 10 minutes after us.

I think there was some sort of quick greeting and welcome onboard as I entered the UD CW cabin of this A388. I made getting to my seat a first priority seeing the overhead space filling up quickly.

My seat 59K, which I was able to select for free right after I booked. It's one of the rare ones that you don't need to hop over others to access the aisle:

The padding felt quite comfy surprisingly and especially in comparison with the A321 from Cairo yesterday. Next, CC came around one after one offering newspapers, PDBs, kits and menus, pictured here with some closer looks at the seat features:

More on the menu later. The blanket and the kit was again flimsy and mediocre but not everything was negative. The two side storage bins were enormous and were of wonderful use, fitting my large backpack and actually allowing my folded suit to stand firm. The CC were pretty much what I expected of BA WW crew from what I've read (and memories of the past) - visibly senior which translates to professional-looking, faint smiles but looked convincing enough for someone with very low expectations. The last CC that came around actually addressed me by name confirming my pre-ordered main course (but that was it for name calling!)

Anyway, you can see that it was indeed somewhat awkward with my neighbor with the divider down, but I did not notice another reported issue of this seat being too close to PEY much.

Here's a subtle ad and gratuity to T-Mobile because at this time the Westminster attacks happened, and I was able to let my parents know right away that I move faster than the terrorists do.

Anyway, I do recall a professional and informative PA announcement by the Captain followed by the CSD, and sooner or later we pushed punctually and were on our way. Surprisingly, we didn't pull away full (I thought BA had sky high LFs) yet no additional awards were released nor were POUG/AUPs available close to departure.

Having to depart to the West meant we taxied all the way across LHR and I had some great views out of the window

The baes, together.

More exotic ones.

We rolled away around 35 minutes after our STD. See you in 48 hours, London.

We headed in a Northerly direction, and the belt lights were soon off. My neighbor dashed off so I was able to quickly snap again his seat. I felt rather bad opening and shutting the screen as the entire panel between us moves when I do so, so I figure that it must be quite disturbing for him given how close it is to the head space.

I followed the footsteps of my neighbor and went for the lav expedition. There is a small standard one in the aft cabin section across the aisle, but the killer ones were at the very front, which I found a CC refreshing it before I entered:

I made it back in time for the initial drink and nuts run, for which the bubbly and nuts were both quite palatable. Sadly the nuts were not heated but I like the individual packaging. Oh and about the menu, yes I have no idea what the wines were, because they actually loaded fewer wine lists than menus, for which the CC later profusely apologized when the entree was served.

The IFE was the same as yesterday's on CAI-LHR which meant again it didn't suit my tastes and I stayed with the moving map most of the time. At least on this flight I was able to put my laptop on top of the side bins (and also grab/stow it easily because of that). So how do you burn time on a long haul flight? Of course, here goes...

It took a whopping 55 minutes for the first round of food to show up...but at least the portions were not bad and there was the luxury of a choice! My mojito-cured smoked salmon tasted great. During the endless waiting, I think I ransacked the supplies at a nearby empty seat, fidgeted with my phone and eavesdropped a bit at the CSD having a lengthy chat with my neighbor, perhaps he was a BAEC Gold. Sadly, the CSD didn't show any love for partner emeralds

The pace then resumed to normal and I soon had my entree of seared British(?!) beef fillet delivered which was piping hot and again better in terms of portion, looks and taste than the normal borderline-inedible stuff that CX serves ex-HKG. It was at this moment when I unintentionally embarrassed the friendly CC about the wine list thing, and my neighbor essentially helped me pick a red which I think had Californian origins. It was good and paired well with the beef, thank you sir

The beef was not overcooked nor asked for showers of salt/pepper. I think there were limited refills for drinks and it definitely was not proactive, but after another episode of eternity, the meal service continued. By this time it was 2.5 hours into the flight and some people were already enjoying their 'sleeper seat'. Perhaps because of that, my humble plead for cheese AND (rather than 'or') cheesecake was accepted, and they both tasted great too.

Another CC came by to distribute water bottles while collecting the remnants that anyone had. I like how it seems that the 5 CC serving upper deck CW today kept rotating their roles and you couldn't see any hierarchy out of them...very foreign for me as a CX flyer.

By this time, we were already going to make landfall over Greenland:

So how do you pass the time other than eating? I guess it follows naturally that you stuff yourself and then pass out, so I headed to the lav to change into more comfortable clothes. I couldn't find it on the menu, so I stopped at the galley and asked the CC serving my aisle just now for a cup of hot chocolate. OMG did I step on a mine and commit an offense knowingly as an AA EXP, bothering the crew with a request?????????? Fortunately this was not AA(/US3 etc) and when I got back to my seat it was already there, so I could douse it in together with the pralines served together with the tray just now, just as I do on CX The BA offerings were of comparable quality, surprise surprise. The cup and leftover wrapping etc were discreetly collected when I was asleep, so I was satisfied with the attention to pax that the crew had.

Most of the cabin were dead asleep so it finally was possible to take a cabin shot. Yes, it was extremely awkward earlier as all the backward-facing passengers would look into me directly.

I also like the control panel a lot especially after the cabin lights were dimmed, and despite it being a decade-old design it still looks quite timeless to me.

I then proceeded to set up my 'day bed in the sky'. There were no cleanliness issues unlike yesterday and I felt an extra sense of security being able to tuck my valuables away in the side bins, yet comfortably leave some basic items easily accessible such as my glasses on top of them. Next thing I knew, we were only 80 minutes from SFO and way into the west already (!)

I had a mini heart attack as if you recall from the very first flight in this TR, the last thing I want to happen is to miss a meal because I slept! So as I headed to brace myself and beg the crew in the galley the lavatory I was relieved to see the crew working on setting up for the second service.

After I returned the lights gradually came on and I was handed my tray consisting of the appetizer of sea trout timbale accompanied by the desginated dessert of fresh seasonal fruit. There was another choice of mozzarella salad for starters as you can see. Again I was rather impressed as they were serving at T-60 compared to like T-120/150 on CX for a pre-arrival meal, and they had proper choices for appetizers unlike the universal sole offering of very sad looking fruit as 'appetizer' in CX in both F and J.

The timbale was fresh and tasty. It was now T-45 but the crew were pacing it well. The cart with mains rolled by and this time without pre-order, I couldn't get my first choice of pasta and had to settle for the offering of toasties. The presentation was definitely subpar but the taste again was alright, although I don't find this dish very appropriate for J class catering. Anyway...

Then I realized uh oh, there's no 'dessert' per se then! Well, thinking about how I missed out on Club Kitchen, I swung by and quickly grabbed ice cream before the crew wrapped up on that. It was sweet and satisfying if just a bit melted- luckily I didn't get sick afterwards!

Soon the captain came on the PA again apologizing for an expected delay due to ATC as we banked into the bay area and began our initial descent.

The CC came around for...nope, not a 'thank you for flying with us' but just to collect trash and secure the cabin for landing. Then it was seemingly endless rounds of spinning over the Pacific before we flew past San Jose and turned North to land at SFO around 15 minutes late.

SFO being not a OW hub is an airport that I'm rather unfamiliar with. It took some extra time as we had to power off and get towed into the gate, but soon I breezed through with GE and was on the curbside waiting for my Uber.

Overall, perhaps the takeaway is - just have zero expectations and you will be blown away...well I wasn't 'blown away' but it turns out that I found this flight quite enjoyable and I was well fed and well rested, I guess I can't ask for too much personalized service on an airline 'of the West' and with 97 J seats on this plane. BA Club World was not an 'aspirational experience' but it certainly wasn't bad value on this itinerary for around 50ish k AA miles. Bbbbbbuttttt the lack of service/elite recognition means if it was head-to-head I'd probably still pick CX or AA...

P.S. As a sidenote, I found it rather interesting that on every single BA sector of mine, I never got asked to put on the yellow hand baggage tag although my bags were clearly oversized...some sort of elite benefit?

P.P.S. I kept getting canceled on by drivers for some unknown reason so it took some time before I got on one...perhaps driving to downtown SF is not appealing enough from the airport?