FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:22 pm
FoxFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by hejiranyc
UA, has to learn a thing or two from the airlines with the loyalist adherents. Southwest, for example. Their focus has to be on the customer and not the blind ambition to generate revenue via nickel-and-dime fees and exploiting every opportunity to gouge the customer.
Perhaps simplistic, but they do need to be more customer facing, and see their business more in customer service than simply transportation.

I had an issue today on a paid F fare, and when I called in to possibly get re-routed due to a schedule change, they could have easily made the change, but instead wanted to charge me a fare difference of +$1,000, but would "waive" the change fee as a courtesy since I was a 1K and the change was their fault.

I totally get the need for rules and guidelines, but there also has to be flexibility and empowering agents to HELP people. My issue was small compared to the bigger ones this thread is in response to, but when they could make a change and have a happy customer without it impacting their bottom line (the flight I asked to be switched to currently has my fare code available @8, and is even showing R8), yet they refuse, it seems misguided.