FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you feel unsafe or as though your safety is vulnerable on a United flight?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:34 pm
John Aldeborgh

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by br2k
I do feel more vulnerable on US carriers. I treat their crews like one would treat a drunk hooligan - minimize communication, avoid unnecessary contact, stay polite and cheerful when must communicate, keep calm, stay humble and above all do not provoke them and try to defuse any potential conflict. These people are unhappy and on a power trip, with "extra rights" that they are happy to exercise (as experience had shown time and again)

On the other hand, no such feeling on foreign carriers - in particular in Asia, and clearly it's not just me. Anecdotally, it goes to an opposite extreme occasionally. On a recent flight on a Japan based low cost carrier, Chinese passenger in the emergency exit row refused to stow her bag or lift her seat back. Crew asked her somewhat meekly a few times and let her be. Is that good? - no. Perhaps too much, but given the choice of that and flying any of US big 3 "CON Air" - I choose the former.

IMHO, YMMV
Again, fascinating response. How much do you actually fly? On what foreign carriers? On China Eastern they politely explain in perfect English to the entire plane how if you don't shut your phone off, not just put it in the airplane mode, but shut it off, you will be subject to penalties up to and including arrest.

In Asia, everyone follows the rules, the FA's are very polite and demur but break the rules and everything changes. I speak from vast experience.