FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' travele
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:07 am
skidooman

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by emwang
It's really disappointing and I agree with many of you that folks capitalize on stories (Fake News) to fuel the fire of another situation. Social media allows these stories to happen and as do certain reporters that capitalize on other sensationalized stories that are exaggerated.
People do because it is actually relevant to the problem at hand. United and airlines are way, WAY too prompt to call in the cops to get their way.

I mean, really? This is the type of respect we are entitled now as customers? If I come to you and throw you out of a table where you are seated in a restaurant after you got your drink just because I need the table for someone more important than you, how are you going to feel? What would be your reaction?

I think the power trips need to end. I have no issue to throw out people that are nuisances. Safety first, by all means. But when you screw up (because, yes, when you overbook and too many people show up, the airline, not the client, screwed up) and that you screw up even more by letting clients in the cabin and then you need to yank them, use better judgment then to just bump out people because a mystery "higher priority client" needs the seat!

And mollify the client in spades. That means $$$, rebooking at advantageous conditions (equal or superior class, hotel on the house), and proper deference from GAs. I don't think this is what was offered here, and it is certainly not what was offered in Chicago.