FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BE AWARE! Ultimate Rewards does not convert "refundable" tickets to "non-refundable".
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:25 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeff191
I'm curious about this as well. Recently used some points and bought a ticket that was basic economy. Worked out fine, but I would have happily paid the extra $20 if given the option.

For hotel bookings they do have room options/upgrades some of the time but for airfare it appears that it is always the cheapest ticket.
That has been my experiences when trying to book on SAS and LOT. It only showed the cheapest fares, while the airlines have 3 fares for coach.

Gave up and booked directly with the airlines.

I also noticed the hotels have room options and some say refundable. However even with the "discount" I have found the Hyatt Regency in Hong Kong, would still cost me more using UR pts versus transferring the UR to Hyatt to book as a reward. Plus booking direct with Hyatt even as an award, one still gets some benefits like free internet, a fruit plate and occasional room upgrade even just the lowly status from the Hyatt card. Booking thru UR using UR pts, one loses all these little extra. Not worth it even it is slightly cheaper. In this case it actually is more expensive if I book a flexible rate room that is only comparable to an award stay which is fully cancellable with the same condition as a flexible rate.