FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:00 am
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
This happened to me in January. Well not me refusing to get off the plane and the police getting involved.

I had a boarding pass (that had been issued in FRA) and was also on my app. Scan the BP to be told my F seat had been given to someone else as my flight was late but I made it to the gate before everyone else from my flight and they all got their seats. They asked if I was okay to sit in Y and I said yes. I just wanted to get home (this was the last leg SFO-SAN). Got on the plane, put my luggage in the overhead, sat in the my newly assigned seat 7A. Then they come back and say I need to get off the plane they do not have a seat for me and a standby passager was getting my seat. Back up the jet way and GA asked me why I refused the Y seat, and I said I did not refuse it and in fact sat in it for a few minutes until told I needed to get off the plane.

Wrote to UA who apologised and said they would look into the situation and get back to me. Of course they never did get back to me to explain or offer any compensation.

So do not know how and why it happened and I was upset as I just wanted to get home - i sympathize /understand the guy not wanting to give up his seat when he was already seated.

BTW - @wolf72, UA did not remove my luggage from the flight. My checked luggage was waiting for me in SAN when I arrived on a later flight. So they do not remove luggage in this situation (apparently).

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Apr 10, 2017 at 8:37 am