FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best use of food voucher when not too hungry
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:02 am
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Often1
I give these to Service members or families who look as though they've just taken a hit in IRROPS.
They boarded me, then found out one guy got on board without scanning and a girl was left standing in the aisle with no seat so they then took me off. There was literally no one left when I got my ($600) ecert and ($20)voucher. I've given away my ($7) voucher in the past but that's when there was a starving family that was in front of me who for some reason was rejected when they asked for a meal voucher. I didn't feel like actively searching in this case.

Originally Posted by expert7700
buy something tiny. small drink, or even a paket of sauce for a dime. and a gift card for the balance

bonus is that most gift cards can be used at cheaper (non airport) franchise locations
I tried this but was told I could not use the voucher for a gift card even if I mix it with food. I assume that is a YMMV type of thing

Originally Posted by deskover54
First of all, $20??? When did it go back up? That is great news. For awhile it was like $7. At SFO, you couldn't even buy a snack for that much.
Yeah, it use to be $7 per meal. I said the same thing to the GA, she said "yeah, they recently changed it".

Originally Posted by deskover54
... then had $150 left when we came back to the airport. ...
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
... and $75 in lunch the next day, we still had $40 which we spent on snacks at the airport ...And still had enough for a roll of Life Savers!
You guys must have gotten different type of vouchers. The GA, another UA employee and the voucher states that you have to use it all at once. You don't get the remaining credit, otherwise, that's probably what I would have done. That has always been my experience.