FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4 Day trip to France in July
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:17 pm
WorldLux

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by keisari
Agree with Lyon (not just a smaller Paris by the way)
That misconception may be (at least for European FTMembers) due to what you see when driving through Lyon on your way South/North. When arriving by car on the A6, you get greeted by a sea of HLMs (i.e. towers/larger complexes offering affordable living accommodations), pass under the historic city center and remerge to the surface next to the Rhône, drive past the newly built Musée des Confluences and leave Lyon by passing the multiple refineries.

As a passing through motorist, you don't get to see the beautiful parts of Lyon, which is a shame. I've done the trip uncountable times over the years and the views you get from the driver's seats are anything but picturesque.

That's IMO a shame, given that Lyon is actually a very pretty city. As an added bonus, you get to enjoy a temperated climate. It's not as hot over the summer months as cities further south, but it isn't as cold during the winter months as cities further north.

Another interesting region might be Reims along with the Champagne region. I did a day trip in late spring (probably over a decade ago) and it was very nice too. Had the trunk full of boxes with champagne on the way back home.