FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Laptop free flying - AMM - LHR
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:46 am
Jordan D

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Further datapoint on this, having flown back from AMM earlier this week.

Check-in for the flight was smooth & easy - extra question about whether I/my wife had packed our laptops in our hold luggage, and if we had any extra power banks. There were no queues at the time we arrived at the airport (approx. T-2hrs before the flight). There was no queues at immigration at that hour (0530hrs), nor at security.

I must add that security were frankly useless - my wife went through ahead of me. I was subjected to requests to take off belt & shoes after the first security official said I didn't need to. Others around me did not have to take off either. Full pat down required for me as well. Additionally, my wife noticed that the security officials were not fully observing the screens. My bag was selected for a full deep dive into it - with the officials claiming I had a knife onboard - which considering they weren't looking at the screen when it went through was bizarre. Suffice to say there wasn't a knife in my bag...

After a stay at the RJ Crown Lounge (not brilliant, not woeful), I headed down to gate 204 for the flight. This is right at the end of the terminal, and this gate was separated from the rest of the boarding area by means of a double tensa barrier creating a 'no-mans land'. Here at the gate, there was a full hand baggage and person search - pat downs rather than using a wand. It was conducted by local security staff, but overseen by two 'British looking' individuals who spoke English with a UK accent. I think they were from the Embassy or FCO/DfT. They clarified the security officers questions - for example when security weren't sure if I was allowed my DSLR camera on my person, the 'British' lady said yes.

Calling a spade a spade, it was all pure theatre.