View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 17, 1:11 pm
canadiancow
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
Cow, any chance that the order in which the list clears is not a representation of how upgrades are awarded?

Ie.: Gate upgrades require some kind of manual intervention, and the staff will have no issues with upgrading #2 if it has no effect on clearing 1, yet will not clear 1 until it's known 100% 1 will show up (connections / checked in but no show / etc)?

Because if that is the case, and I'm #9 with 8 seats left and 2-7 confirmed upgraded but not 1, mayne it's worth it to not board and wait a bit?
I'm going to discuss your last point first.

If you want the upgrade, do not board until they say that J has BOARDED full. Boarding drops you off the public list, which lines up with what a few employees have said. That's not to say they couldn't go deeper into the system, upgrade you, walk on board, and tell you. But I've certainly had the opposite experience.

As for the rest, my hunch is that the public list order is just wrong. Any manual manipulation they do can have dire consequences.

8 seats left, they confirm #2 -8, and then KEN,S hits IRROPS, calls the concierge, and is moved into the last available seat on the flight. Then #1 shows up, but the flight's full. In that situation, it should either be me or #8 who doesn't sit in J, but #1 gets screwed.

But who knows. Maybe they do some things manually for "reasons". But that reminds me of when the last two seats went to a pilot (do not recall if he was a captain, but he was certainly not a deadheading captain, or he would have been confirmed ahead of time, which means he should have been below revenue upgrade priority) and an E35K, while this SE stayed on the list. I can tell you right now that if I'm #1 , and #2 clears, I'm going up to the gate to have a discussion with the GA. Or I'm calling a concierge. So they better hope their list is right, or a lot of time is going to be wasted dealing with people like me

If the list and process are fully transparent and completely accurate, I think this could make life easier for the GA. But right now, the process is unknown, and we've demonstrated inaccuracies on the list, so this could just make things worse. "Why did ABC,D get upgraded over me? I was #1 !" "On my list, you were #2 ". I'm waiting for a story about that