FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 72 hour transit visa. Need to inform Air Canada?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:06 pm
YYT82

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by david_oz
Hi all

My girlfriend and I are both Canadian citizens, we are travelling to China in transit to Australia on these flights:

Arrival into PVG: AC25 14:10 Sat Apr 15 (booked through AC)
Departure from PVG: CA175 19:35 Tues Apr 18 (booked through UA on a mileageplus award)

In doing my research on the 72 hour transit visa, it seems we are eligible for this visa despite the fact that we are staying just over 72 hours. The 'visa clock' begins at midnight on the night of our arrival. My research also says we need to inform AC at check in. I'm thinking there are a couple of reasons why we might anticipate problems:

1. We are exceeding the "strict" 72 hour requirement even though we are eligible for the visa
2. Our second flight is not booked through AC, so they won't be able to confirm it from their system.

Are these legitimate concerns, or am I being paranoid? Should we apply for chinese visas to be on the safe side? Should we inform Air Canada before check in?

Thanks

Dave
I have landed in PVG and went on my way to KIX on a separate ticket before (and transited in PVG again on the way back). AC agents in YVR are better informed about the visa-free transit rules than agents in YYZ. If they fret about the strict 72 hours, just show them the print out of the clock starting at midnight the night of arrival verbiage. The only airport in China that applies the strict 72-hour rule is PEK.

All this applies to transits. If a Chinese 72-hour visa-free transit airport is your point of turnaround, you might be denied boarding. (I had been denied boarding this way, fortunately it was a refundable ticket.) Although I didn't investigate whether the agent was right in denying me boarding (I assume he was).