FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham/BHX- a few questions.
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:55 pm
Rami Tamimi

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by manymany
Good luck!

I did something similar last year, not BHX though. I was on the first BA LHR-AMS doing a back to back for an J ex-EU to BKK, so it left LHR at 6:40am if I remember.

Anyway, I got the last Virgin East Coast from Newark North Gate to Kings Cross. Meant to get in just after 1am but was 20mins earlier. Sat in the McDonalds opposite Kings X for a bit. Walked round the corner, waited for bus to Strand.

Bus to Strand then bus to Heathrow T5. Got there around 3am I think. Quite a few people around. Costa open so I spent an hour half doing some work in there. Went up to departures at 4:30am and it was really busy, many people milling around waiting for security to open up.

I was absolutely knackered on the way back from AMS later in the morning! Had a good rest on BA9 though.

Some people were trying to sleep in the Costa and around arrivals. There was a homeless guy got chucked out by the coppers. Plus hanging around Kings X felt a bit dodgy - some odd characters about at 1am.

Alternative is the National Express coaches. Did you consider them?
Interesting experience thanks! I think waiting in the airports is more pleasant than at the train stations

In regards to the bus....the most suitable one would be the one departing Victoria at 00:30 and arriving BHX at 03:40,just at the time check in opens....but then again it takes over 3 hours and I sitting at BHX is better than sitting on the bus...and what if there are disruptions...and if I take an earlier coach,then...what's the point? Euston is also 2 stations away from me, whereas Victoria is 40 minutes ride. The advance I purchased from VT was £8,one could probably get the coach for less, but I am not too bothered about it.

PS: Getting to BHX actually seems easier than LHR,I would prefer 1:15 on a "longhaul"/intercity train vs 1 hour on the tube