Old Mar 25, 17, 8:30 pm
gold23

Programs: UA 1K
During a short delay at EWR today I was speaking to a friendly GA (I know, oxymoron) that I've gotten to know a little and asked her about the gate buy-ups. She said she's never done it, but that she knows of a few supervisors that have instructed GA to do so over the past few months on occasion. Almost all primarily leisure routes, and she said she believed they processed all GS first.

She also said that a lot of people check in either on their way to the airport or otherwise very close to departure. Business people uncertain of whether they'd make their flight, etc. If they check in an hour prior to the flight, it's possible their buy up offer is suitably aggressive...and they take it. This would give the impression that it was a gate buy up to some people watching the list, when in fact it is at check in.

Again, I have no issue with UA maximizing revenue- as long as the approach is clear and as an elite I have an equal or ideallyt greater opportunity to purchase than someone without status.