FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ExPlat Status denied
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2004, 8:58 pm
HKG_Flyer1

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I've got an idea as to why they're being so strict

I have a theory as to why AA's being so strict. As you know, some time ago AA began tracking both miles and points and allowing qualification based on reaching either a mile or point threshhold. While this makes it easier for high rev pax to achieve EXP status (which I think is a really good idea); it also enables AA to quickly develop a guestimate as to how profitable a particular pax is.

In your case, your "point to mile" ratio suggests that you travel mostly on discounted economy fares and the AA rep reviewing your account can quickly ascertain that this is, in fact, the case. While no one doubts your loyalty to the airline, I would suggest that AA might be less inclined to accomodate you rather than a pax who had a "point to mile" ratio that indicated more full fare or premium class travel.

With respect to segments, I don't think AA would find those a meaningful metric.

Not trying to be harsh... being self-employed, I always go for the cheapest fare I can find when travelling domestically, as well.