FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wow - selling the upgrades at the gate so explicitly.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:44 am
Phil Level

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
The problem with all the upgrade selling is that when the instruments don't clear, there is no reason for anyone to fly UA past the status they aspire to. So in my case, it may end up costing UA the incremental $13k in flying that I can now plough into AA to reach EXP.

UA will never know what it is missing because they can't see the revenue they lose unless I am sending them receipts for AA bookings...which is far too cumbersome.

I can't be the only one who thinks that way. Question is...do others do the same if they are primarily AA or DL fliers at such a scale that it all cancels each other out.
+1 - You aren't the only one who thinks that way.

For the past few years, our family of 4 goes NYC twice a year so our two mini-Levels can visit with the NYC based grandparents. This summer we are booked to fly UA LAX-EWR and B6 JFK-LAX for the return. I doubt the UA system is smart enough to realize they lost the return flight segment. And I doubt the system is smart enough to pick up if we start using another carrier for these semi-annual trips. I doubt UA even cares, but the point I am trying to make is that there is an established travel pattern on UA for several years, and that pattern is about to be deviated from, and revenue lost.