FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1st Successful Mileage Run Completed
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:13 am
Brian201

1st Successful Mileage Run Completed

Good Evening,

I know my status and miles flown doesn't compete with 95% of you on this site, but I'm working on it. Ua1flyer (I don't know how to or if you can tag someone here) has been an inspiration to me as of late. I'm from the town next to him and when I read the article about him, it made me want to start flying as much as possible. While I understand its his job to be traveling around the world to see clients, I want to do it as much as I can within my budget, but just for fun.

I moved from North Jersey to LA last summer and being that LA has decent UA activity, it has allowed me to continue flying the airline and gathering miles/status.

I did my first mileage run this week, LAX-SFO-SIN-SFO-LAX starting Monday night and returning back Wednesday at 12pm. It was interesting being in the air for 35 of the 40 hours I was traveling, it was actually quite fun. However, the whole process wasn't as smooth as I had hoped.

When I went to check-in Sunday night, I had no problems until I went to retrieve my boarding pass; the app stated that I needed to see an agent to get my boarding pass at the airport. I used to have 2 valid passports at one time and this had happened before during that time, so I didn't think much of it. When I got to the airport, I found out it wasn't my dual passports causing an issue, it was the fact I received the DREADED SSSS on my LAX-SFO boarding pass (and since i did the turnaround, they printed my other boarding passes as well, with SIN-SFO receiving the SSSS). Now I have both Pre-Check and Global Entry, which I have used the past 5 years without an issue, and have travelled enough internationally to know the process. The SSSS procedure was not that enjoyable as I spent nearly 30 minutes waiting in line for the regular security check (since Pre-check was removed from my ticket) and another 20 minutes getting the FULL-Body pat down.

Has this happened to other people on Long-haul, quick-turn trips when flying alone? Also, if it has, do you lose Pre-check forever?? I am flying LAX-OGG, next week, LAX-EWR the week after and LAX-DEN for Easter Weekend. If this is going to continue, I need to figure it in to my travel plans, as it took nearly an extra hour to get through security.

The flights themselves were pretty uneventful, ate, slept and worked with the WiFi. Fortunately keeping my watch on LA time kept me from experiencing any jetlag, as I made sure I slept on my normal schedule.

By the time I landed, I was ready to do it again. I have definitely found a new hobby and look forward to doing this for a while.

I am now looking to complete United's 5 longest non-stop flights within one calendar year, as reasonably priced as possible. Being based in LA, I'm looking to earn just over 94,300 PQM if I can do this throughout the rest of the year. I am fortunate that I can work somewhat remote, and utilize the plane as a workspace.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'd gladly listen. Also, if anyone is coming through LA on an MR, I'd be ready to tag along.

Brian