FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:10 am
Blumie
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by avneeshj
Hi,
I have a question regarding connecting from separately booked international to domestic connection at JFK. We arrive at JFK on QR 701 at 1515 hrs in T8. We have to connect to a DL flight out of T4 at 1830 hrs. I am trying to find out if it is possible to re check our bags with DL after clearing immigration and customs in T8 itself or do we have to take them all the way to T4 using the AirTrain? This would be a challenge for us since it's a family of 4 with kids aged 5 and 2. Our previous experiences at ORD have been that there has been a counter to recheck bags just past customs.
When you check in with QR, ask them if they are able to check your bags through to your final destination on DL. If they have an "interline" agreement with DL, they might be able to do this. You still will have to collect your bags at JFK, but then you might be able to drop them at the baggage recheck counter after you clear immigration and customs at JFK.

Originally Posted by craz
As sbm12 put it AFAIK there is no rechecking bags to any carrier other then those that operate out of T8.
That is not what sbm12 said and is not accurate. Although I haven't done it, I'd be very surprised if you could not recheck bags to carriers that operate out of other terminals if they are already properly tagged. The problem here is that the OP is flying a separate carrier on a separate ticket, and the folks at the recheck counter likely will not be able to check the OP in for his DL flight and print luggage tags. But if, when the OP checks in for his QR flight, QR has the capability of "pulling" the DL reservation and tagging the bags all the way through to his final destination, then dropping them at the T8 baggage recheck counter might work.

[Edited to add: OP, if your're able to bring the bags with you over to DL, that will minimize the possibility of them getting lost in transit. Anytime you have to rely on the airlines to deliver your bags to another airline, especially in another terminal, it increases the odds of them getting lost. Which doesn't mean that you won't get them back, but it could be a big hassle if you're without your bags for a day or two. I personally would try to bring them over to the DL terminal if I could.]