FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why I no longer fly airtran
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2004, 10:40 am
neworder71

Angry Why I no longer fly airtran

I fly a lot since I like to travel and usually roll with the punches that airlines throw at me. I live in Memphis and most of my family is in Florida, so airtran is many times the cheapest option. However out of 7 or 8 trips I've twice gotten stuck in Atlanta overnight. And just this week my friend (who got his NWA elite matched on airtran) got stuck there on his first airtran flight. I can deal with getting stuck, but it is how I'm treated that is the problem.

First airtran doesn't pay for hotel but gives me a "50% off" hotel coupon which in actuality only was good for $5 less than the guy who walked in off the street in front of me at the hotel. Then they won't move me to another airline when they won't put me on the 1st airtran flight out the next morning. And the same thing happened to my friend this week, he couldn't get a flight out until 2:00pm and is "elite" on their airline.

What I've discovered about airtran:
1. rarely cover hotel when stuck
2. won't switch you another airline
3. you become lowest priority when you miss a flight, they would rather make you 12 hours late then bump another passenger and have to compensate them, no compensation for me since my delay was "weather"

Why fly them? Lately their fares have gone up and the price advantage they had isn't there anymore, usually never more then $10-20 cheaper

Yes, airtran is making money by offering mediorce service