FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New nonstop OAK-BCN
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:47 pm
ucdtim17

Originally Posted by dhuey
To our friends here unfamiliar with OAK, all gates are connected airside. If you find yourself facing a long delay in Terminal 1 (the bus terminal), you might want to wander over to the new section of Terminal 2 to get a meal, drink or snack. It's much nicer over there.
The problem with that idea is that during most busy hours everything in T2 is full. Speaking for myself, most times I would be interested in sitting down for a beer or something before my flight, there is no room anywhere so I don't bother. The airport must lose a ton of revenue from people making the same calculation as me. T2 seems appropriately sized for 2013 levels of traffic, not 2017, much less 2020 or 2025. T1 has been pretty empty at times since the recession but that is quickly changing. The lounge opening is nice, but that's only added a tiny amount of dining/drinking capacity. I don't know what they're going to do in the near-mid term before building another terminal. It's going to be bad for a while.

It's so different than PDX, which hosts ~50% more people in what feels like 100% more space. I never worry about a lack of room there (aside from the AS Lounge, which is tiny)