FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time travel to the 50's with... AS286 LAX-HAV [The Journalistic Narration]
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:01 pm
beckoa
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Tuesday morning, our last day on the island started far too early. I woke up at 3 AM and eventually made it back to sleep. Something didn't agree with me yesterday, possibly the 3 CUP ice cream that was quite tasty. At 9, I woke up and took a shower with the contraption, water was on for once. Ate breakfast, the same standard offering we've been eating. However the fruit was displayed slightly differently today. And with our later start, no beach again. The locals thought I was crazy trying to go there. The weather hadn't looked like it changed either; I didn't feel like getting sand blasted at the beach.

Folks were constantly going by the street selling wares and food. I'm not sure what they are selling exactly, but it defiantly adds to the authentic aspect of this experience. The smells of raw diesel wafting through the air, permeating the open windows.

We wandered into town one last time, going by the hardware store again, central park, and even Floridita. We sat and people watched at central park as throngs of tourists and locals wandered around. Some looked a bit lost, but many found their way onto the hop on hop off bus. Running low on CUC's, a quick stop in a hotel saw us with a replenished supply. I put aside 35 CUC's to get back to the airport with. I picked up a few more souvenir items, striving for food was difficult as the state stores never were replenished much.

We wandered back to our casa, bought a bit more rum, and packed up. At 3 PM our ride arrived as arranged by Tania. We had wanted to ride in a convertible back to the airport, and it was only 5 CUC more for this experience. Right on time a 50's era bright red with a diesel engine pulled up. Our driver was very friendly and in an energetic mood, helping load our luggage (had more room today) and we were off. This was a scenic way to get there- I sat in the middle seat in the back, no seat belts of course, and held onto my hat. My camera battery had finally died, but I was prepared- battery pack and charger in my pocket- I was able to power back up and film away.

Again about a 30 minute ride, passing along the same route as before, including Revolution Square. Lots of milita around that place. Got to Terminal 2 and we drove right up to the checkin area. 35 CUC plus 1 CUC tip, and I was about out of CUC. Perfect.

The line was not too bad for the Alaska counter on the far right. There was even a Premier line for those in First Class. This is where we learned the airport agency ECASA does not have access to Alaska's system. They are only able to check us in for AS287 and our bags to LAX. Ok, we'll recheck our bags there. We go thru passport control no problem, get stamped and a quick security check. I always seem to set the alarm off there; its funny for when they wand you, as you stand on top of a podium to do this.

Terminal 2 is rather bleak inside- its a large holding area, and single story. Boarding is directly on the tarmac via air stairs. There are a few places to buy souvenirs and duty free, but the souvenirs are much more expensive airside. However the local rum in the Duty Free store is the same price (guess that's one advantage to having state run) although they have an annoying charge for the duty free bag you're required to buy. There is also a small bar with snacks where one can get one last beverage before departure.

AS286 arrived late, finally saw it on the ground. Apparently it left LAX late. We start queuing up, and conversing with other passengers, we discover someone on our flight who has notoriety. Jamie Lee Curtis is seated directly in front of me. Someone even asked for a recording for his blog. Myself, I have no idea who she is. But she was pleasant to interact with. Boarding starts and I'm the third person to have their boarding pass scanned, and walk out onto the tarmac. Its a short walk, but breezy outside. Slightly overcast, I was ready to go back to the United States. We get to the airstairs at the bottom of the aircraft and hold for a few minutes. Perhaps they're not ready to board yet?
Attached Images           

Last edited by beckoa; Mar 17, 2017 at 8:31 pm