FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Protecting Electronic Devices and Stored Information from Customs Searches
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:05 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by guflyer
Thanks for verifying this. My concern is that many on this forum who discuss deleting everything before traveling are giving themselves a false sense of security as their data can be accessed even after the deletion.

I am surprised that no company has come out with a phone/tablet device that really deletes data, making it completely irretrievable. It seems like there would be a significant market for this right now.
There are ways to delete data on devices and utilize those devices such that it makes it very difficult to impossible for the government to recover deleted data. But there is something to be said about "less is more" when it comes to what you carry across borders or how you use "smartphones", a super-surveillance tool if ever there were one before. If the device or software makers are compromised even before getting the product out of the factory or distributed, it's game over whenever the government thinks it important enough to pursue the matter and risk getting its sources/methods exposed or to recreate an investigative trail (i.e., make up a story/excuse on how the target became a target/suspect) and risk that being exposed.