FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:57 pm
edgewood49

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Horace
It seems the owner is doing quite a bit to convert the old Aqua Wave Waikiki into The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection -- at least if the renderings and descriptions from DLR Design (design/architecture/engineering) become a reality:

Aqua Wave Waikiki - A Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel

The first two levels will be redone completely. The roof above those two levels will become space for guests, with a stylish new pool and other outdoor deck features. And I have no doubt the rooms in the tower will be thoroughly renovated.

When I wrote that The ‘Okina would lack many of the features associated with a resort, that wasn't meant as a criticism. It's just recognition that it's a hotel with a small footprint, and it's not on (or even particularly near) the beach, compared to many other Waikiki hotels.

The ‘Okina won't be a good choice for someone who wants to easy, daily access to the sandy beach at Waikiki or who wants to spend the day at a resort spa.

But I think it will be a great choice for someone who enjoys the cosmopolitan aspects of Waikiki and wants a vast number of shops and restaurants within a few blocks.

And I hope they'll treat Elite members well.
Please forgive me, I own a construction company working in the western US and Guam as such I am from time to time involved in hotel construction. Renderings are wonderful for investors and municipalities but what is important is who the contractor is and what are his instructions. Case in point the Courtyard and the Hyatt Place both terrible conversations the CY received wide spread distain and had to redo their redo. Many of these redo's are lipstick, shower liners, "proportioned" furniture to make it look larger than it really is etc. The LAX Hyatt was just redone and their already having problems. Didn't do the plumbing right and the bathrooms smell

The real test will be when the hotel opens and the public can see and feel it.