FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why no Arctic Destination Forum? UPDATE: Covered in existing forums
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:22 pm
ranles
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Yes, we will be on a cruise (Holland America).

I agree that the Arctic, is not a continent. That is not the criterion for the topic. I know you know that, I don't mean to be snarky.

The ports, cities with airports, etc are rare enough that most people that travel to destinations in the various counties with portions in the Arctic, do not go to these cities and ports.

For example, we go to Longyearbyen and Ny Alesund (Spitsbergen). These are both in Norway, but few people would get that far, so posting in Norway might not get a question responsed to or shared experience. Certainly asking a question in the thinly used "cruises" would have very little chance of response to such a specialized area. We will also port in Akureyri and Isafjordur, both in Iceland. Again, posting a second time under Iceland, may or may not, reach a responder. Posting in "cruises" would be even less productive.

The above is probably true of Barow and Prudhoe Bay (Alaska), and ports in Greenland (Denmark) or Canadian cities in the Arctic.

I doubt that an Arctic category would be that busy, so perhaps it is just a "dead" zone in coverage? Fortunately, I have been able to find the answers to my questions elsewhere. I just prefer the use of FT, my first home, where even the onlookers get to benefit from the discussion.

Thank you. It appears that it at least got a hearing!