FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:00 am
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I generally try to avoid shaming the individual screener, as in my experience most are even less thrilled than we are about the whole process. I had one guy who, when I told him that he was patting me down because his co-worker would not let me use the Precheck line as I was shepherding someone travelling with me through the elite line, even though my boarding pass clearly stated Precheck, causing me to use normal security and opt out, he was really pissed at his co-worker . That said, imagine being told by your boss that you must thoroughly touch and feel someone's genitals or you'll be fired...the worst that generally would happen to us as passengers is not flying that day if we decline the "full" screening. I don't envy someone who is coerced into committing sexual assault at threat of job loss. I don't have a lot of sympathy for most TSA employees, as most had a good idea of what they were getting themselves into, but I have a nonzero level of sympathy, barring the few who feel "a calling" and seem to feel they are the only thing preventing disaster. I sense that, for the majority, this is the best paying job they can find (logically, would you work at TSA frontline if you could do almost any other job? I'd rather be a plumber.). But with these changes, my level of sympathy is looking more and more to be asymptotically approaching zero...
I don't give a rats behind for the morale of TSA screeners. If they don't like what they have to do then they should move on. If something is wrong then don't do it.

I think the better question is; what kind of person would work in a place that requires such despicable acts of its employees?

TSA has spent Billions of Tax Dollars on Body Scanners of one sort or another and apparently they aren't worth the powder to blow them sky high. Shouldn't someone be asking TSA Leadership just why they bought these expensive devices if they can't be trusted to do a thorough screening?

Folks, unless you are OK with being sexually assaulted for no other reason than traveling freely in your country then you should be contacting your elected's and demanding an investigation.