FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving from Whistler to Calgary -- where to spend nights?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:09 pm
TheBOSman
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by dhuey
Thanks for any suggestions.
I'll be doing this in reverse in May (Lake Louise-Whistler), though with a little more time available to me. Haven't worked out my exact spots for overnighting, or what I'll be doing exactly along the way, but have done a bit of research. Let me know if there's anything you want to have an on-the-ground opinion of in May, I can report back then late in the month.

If you're going for most cost effective (cheapest hotel nights), with least amount of driving, probably Kamloops and then Revelstoke would be best. You could get away with one night in roughly Salmon Arm-Sicamous area, allowing an extra night in Whistler or Lake Louise area.

If you're willing to spend more, consider staying here instead of Revelstoke, since it will be open in August (though may be pricey): http://heathermountainlodge.com/

Whistler to Jasper is 8.5 hours according to Google Maps, just for reference. I've done 11-13 hour drives in a day myself, but they can be a bit tiring. Depends if you're up for that. There aren't a lot of hotel options Kamloops-Jasper, but if one interests you, Whistler-X-Jasper-Lake Louise is definitely workable. But definitely try to fit in Icefields Parkway if at all humanly possible, even if just part of it done out of Lake Louise. I've allocated an entire day to it (I'm going Jasper-Lake Louise in May).