FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask the Airbnb host
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:47 pm
travelmad478

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by wylek
Personally, my approach is usually to message the host first (instant book or not), giving a very brief introduction which usually includes the purpose of my trip (transiting through, hiking trip, beach stay, etc.), and confirming availability. After I get response, I complete the booking. This helps me feel more comfortable with the host, too, since I know that they respond (vs. an anonymous booking with automated confirmation).
When I use Airbnb as a guest, I do the same thing, since this is what I want as a host. You don't need to write a dissertation in your initial email, just who's coming, a sentence on the purpose of your visit, and a phrase/sentence on who you are. My standard reservation request is "Hi, I'm an Airbnb host from Delaware coming to your area for _________. Your place looks perfect for me! I'm looking forward to hearing from you." And if I have specific questions about the location or the property, I ask right then (for instance, one place I was recently contemplating had a description that said "Our house is near a rail line and major highways," which could have just meant that it was convenient to get to, but in fact (as I was wondering) was meant to convey that there were trains and cars passing by all night long!

Originally Posted by wylek
do you list as instant book?
Never have and never will, no matter how much Airbnb pushes me to do it. This is my home, I will be here during the stay, and I don't want nasty surprises.

I just booked a place the other day as a guest, which I didn't realize was an instant-book listing. I wrote my standard intro message and did the reservation request--it was instantly accepted and the hosts have never even bothered to respond. I find that off-putting, actually.