FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask the Airbnb host
View Single Post
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:16 pm
rickg523
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wylek
As an occasional renter on Airbnb, I am curious about your expectation here. Do you prefer more interaction with your guests during the booking process, or are you referring to during their stay?

If the former, do you list as instant book? Personally, my approach is usually to message the host first (instant book or not), giving a very brief introduction which usually includes the purpose of my trip (transiting through, hiking trip, beach stay, etc.), and confirming availability. After I get response, I complete the booking. This helps me feel more comfortable with the host, too, since I know that they respond (vs. an anonymous booking with automated confirmation).
Best approach.
I use it as well, Instant Book or not. Explaining to the host the make-up of your traveling party (eg- 4 adults, 2 boys 8 and 9 yo) and specifying the sort-of bottom line features required (one of three bedrooms must have two single beds, for example) makes the "mechanics" of short term rentals a lot easier and less susceptible to unpleasant surprises . Accurate property descriptions go a long way, but I've found it best to specifically inquire about any "absolute musts" I might have before booking. And the introductory emails give both host and guest an early opportunity to get a sense of one another. Even whole place rentals suffer if the parties are not sympatico. This is much more important than for a hotel stay. IMO, disregarding this might be the cause of many failed or disappointing rentals.
Over the last few years, I've been using short term rentals - Airbnb, Vrbo, local agencies - exclusively for any stay longer than 3 nights. Using this careful approach I've had 100% success.