FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Trip to Iceland in the Middle of Winter - A warm review of FI E / E+ and more
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:48 pm
steveo

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Before talking about the drive back from Hofn to Reykaviv, I figure I would give my review of the Hilton Nordica. The Hilton Nordica is one of the two hilton properties in Iceland. The other one is the Canopy which I stayed at earlier.... and is much nicer. However the Nordica had parking, and was much cheaper so I gave it a show.

We arrived at the Nordica after a long day of hiking, caving, and driving. First thing was the amount of bus tours here... there were a LOT, and the lobby was full of tired looking chinese tourists sitting on the floor with their bags. Ugh sucks to be them.

I go to the Honors desk to check in, when the manager sees I have a guest with me. He says something to me like "THIS IS NOT A HILTON IN THE USA, IF YOU ARE BRINGING A GUEST WE NEED TO KNOW AND WE CANNOT ACCOMMODATE YOU". My wife starts screaming at the guy, he then relents and says "give me 40 minutes and we'll get you a room".....

First off, I've stayed at many hiltons outside the USA and have never had a room that can hold only one person. The second thing is that if the rooms are that.... small, then contact us before hand or say it on your website. I did complain and they apologized but no swag

After a quick dinner to a nearby mexican place we get our room. It was small, but big enough for two people who like each other, so I don't know what the big deal was. IF anything they should be embarrassed by the huge pillar going through the room:

Artists rendition of the front desk guy:

We got lounge access as Gold Members. Overall it was pretty good, had lots of chocolate and other snacks, and a pretty good spread of booze:

It would be nice if they had some good local beers (they had icelandic beer, but not good icelandic beer) like Einstok:

The view would have been good if it wasn't so cloudy...