FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Trip to Iceland in the Middle of Winter - A warm review of FI E / E+ and more
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:34 pm
steveo

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
After barely escaping the polar bear... The second day we had to drive to Hofn to do our blue glacier cave tour of doom. So the order of the day was picking up a rental car from Sixt. Sixt at Reykavik city airport will pick you up at your hotel and take you to the pickup place, a great deal, and we got the car for half off on Sixt's black friday deal. I got a red Opal SUV, and after arguing about insurance we ended up with a GPS since google maps really sucks in Iceland.

We started the day by heading to the Secret Lagoon, which is a cooler, cheaper, and slightly sexier version of the Blue Lagoon. We arrived at 11 am and the place was pretty empty. Note the shower inspectors weren't working, and there were some people from a certain south asian nation who weren't doing a full nude shower... shame on them. We'll let the pictures do the talkin:

A troll along the way!

The wife is really liking it

the main heat source... yea for onsite geyser

Lets hope this lagoon remains secret!

relax!

cool hot pool

This is a hot river where a bunch of the excess heat goes

some greenhouses being fed by the heat... there were some also some horses hanging out

getting crowded time to flea

Next we did the long drive to Hofn... but with a view like this the 5 hours went by fast

The landscape was full of these mini waterfalls... this is one of the big ones.

cool lake

nice weather... haha

We then ran into a big parking lot and started following a trail for 45 minutes to find this...

And empty black sand....

after some more driving it started to get dark

lukcily we soon arrived to our lovely bed and breakfast the House and the Hill

HOFN is a small delicious town, pronunced HOFF like the base in Star Wars the Empire Strikes back

a well deserved beer and lobster

the highlight of dinner at Z-Bistro is Z-Waffle, I like them .....

And now time for some sleep, because I get to ride this tomorrow: