FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Skyroam or unlocked Mifi
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:19 am
Dubai Stu

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Having just started looking at SkyRoam/MyFi options, what is the benefit of being able to use your own SIM in a device? If you do that, can you then use the data on SIM without having to pay for the SkyRoam usage? Is it possible to tether multiple devices with your own SIM (even if the SIM does not support tethering)?

Thanks for any/all help!
There are a number of reasons. The one that comes to mind is that Skyroam is a good deal for a short term stay in a country, but not a long term one. I spent three weeks in Australia two years ago. A local SIM easily would beat Skyroam, but I have one day in the Netherlands later this year. A local SIM card wouldn't be such a good deal. Then there are uncovered countries. It doesn't look like Oman is a covered country (see above). At that point, a Skyroam is jut another hotspot. TMobile has slow roaming included in its data packages (now at 256k). On the days you are just checking your email, that would be fine but once you have work to do, Skyroam makes more sense. If you are using a competitor with LTE service, you might want your home country SIM in the device for use at home, and the roaming service abroad. Skyroam, etc., can also give you backup coverage on a different network. Yesterday, I was in a hotel where ATT's coverage didn't reach the meeting room, but TMobile's did. I believe Skyroam also gives you a US internet connection which could get you around blocking in some countries.

When you boot the Skyroam up, it senses the external SIM card and asks whether you wish to use it or Skyroam.