FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:09 pm
jjmoore

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by findark
Given that they did both new-discount BE fares and "hidden increase" fares in the different rollout markets, I would guess they're collecting data on how customers react to each option.
This sparked some thought .... I have noticed over the last 8 weeks that FAR more deep discount fares have been available in the G bucket. These are fares that I have not seen in years... for example... DEN-LAX $100 r.t. a.i. Another example DEN-ORD $112 r.t. a.i. Yet another, DEN-SFO $140 r.t. a.i. I have capitalized on these fares and made some really nice weekend trips out of these good deals. Finding fares like these in years past has been very difficult.... maybe 1 per year.

My belief is that UA is likely opening up more "deep discount" fares, and these G fares will roll into the N fare class and be available as basic economy. The typical L, T, S, and higher fare class prices, even for MSP routes, have not changed from what I have explored so far.

Will be interesting to revisit some searches in the coming weeks as more destinations are affected, and see if this is still the case.