FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carpet in Airports. WHY?!
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:34 am
WhatTheMiguel

Carpet in Airports. WHY?!

Okay, this is going to be a (probably ridiculous) rant, so here is the quick version:

tl;dr - Carpet is not ideal for rolling suitcases. Airports are full of rolling suitcases. Why in the world would you put carpet in Airports?

I am based out of ORD, so this isn't an issue when I am leaving home, but as soon as I get off the jet bridge at whatever destination, the thing I dread most, is seeing carpet when I step off. I mean, really. I. HATE. IT!

As anyone who travels with a carryon must know, carpet + luggage wheels = UGH! I have never understood why airports insist on using carpet in the airport. It NEVER looks nice (as it only takes about 32 seconds to go from 'freshly installed' to 'the most unsanitary surface known to man'), it must be expensive to maintain, and it absolutely SUCKS for wheeled bags.

I know, some of you are going to say 'try a different bag', but I have tried many, and it's the same story every time. Carpet slows you down and makes pulling a bag worse. Of all the things to complain about, this is obviously ridiculous. I get that, but I just can't understand why it even needs to be a thing. Like for real. Why?

I once ended up chatting with someone who works for the FAA and I was having this same discussion with them. She also agreed that carpet is ridiculous in airports. In fact she told me about how an airport (PHX I think, but I don't recall for sure) was remodeling a terminal a few years back and they spent a ridiculous amount of money finding carpet square replacements during the remodel so that they would match perfectly to the existing ones that didn't have to replaced. She told me it would have been about ⅓ of the cost to just rip up all the carpet and refinish the sub-floor and just use that. GEESH!

I used to travel to FLL quite a bit and I remember that in the US/AA terminal they had carpet by the gates. Then, one day, it was gone...and it was glorious!

When I land in an airport without carpet (especially after a 12 hour flight to) my mind, body and spirit perk up. It is irrational, I know, but that is what happens. When I land at BOM - instant sad face. ZRH? LHR? SZX? Happiness!

Maybe if I could understand WHY airports keep insisting on using carpet I could train myself to appreciate it. I don't know, maybe. I'm open to anyone offering any thought as to why carpet is equal to or better than hard flooring in an airport.

Anyway, I know this was a random rant, but if anyone could sympathize it would be the FT community. Or not. Hopefully there are a few others like me.