FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Havana and Varadero, Cuba via Westjet Holidays from Canada.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:17 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by 757
Great report of your trip so far - looking forward to the rest!
Thanks 757. This one was super easy compared to the other trips we've done. I can see why the rest of the 99% do package holidays.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
The ocean does not look so nice to swim in? I was expecting clear blue water with no waves.
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
It's the unsheltered Atlantic. Waves can be quite strong when they are in the right direction. Witness the Malecon in Havana which is mere kilometres west. Waves can be even bigger out east (eastern tip at Baracoa, or a bit further west on the north coast at Gibara). I will have to get my Cuba TR from April 2015 completed.
Great points YVR Cockroach and Bretteee - this strip of Varadero had a long sand "shelf" that was right below water. It churned up the sand quite a bit as the waves came in and there was absolutely no snorkeling right from shore. The beach was the highlight of the part - instead of the swimming activities. It's perhaps also why there are no terrific Cuban travel brochures - there aren't those crystal waters to look at.

Originally Posted by redadeco
Thank you for the TR, great photos!

To second what you said regarding food, Cuba is indeed the worst unless you go on your own to large cities and try samples from the local food scene.
The quality of food in resorts is mediocre at best.
Thanks redadeco. I agree with the food. I didn't feel like I received the true Cuban experience in relation to the food.

Originally Posted by aidy
thanks for the TR you even had one of my companies planes on the pic in VRA (it still needs to be repainted), this is typical hotel food supply with the supply chains they have, i will comment though, even though its bad, it had improved a lot... once on a business trip i was served deep fried spaghetti.

With the wifi, it's been around but not everywhere some hotels had since 2012, from what i saw, and my office over there had it in 2013.

Its part of the uniqueness of Cuba.

Hope you had a good time and look forward to reading the rest
Thank you aidy. There is a lot of differing information in relation to Cuba. Our guide said 2016 for the wifi spots but he may have been referring to the public wifi areas in the parks that are drawing the crowds. It's hard to imagine that other locations didn't have it. It certainly adds to the mystique.

Originally Posted by Purim
"After breakfast, MrsWT73 felt like some wine"

Wither we all were so honest.
Yes Purim - a holiday (or a weekend for that matter) are to be enjoyed. LOL. At least I've gotten used to it a little bit in our house

Originally Posted by DanielW
A very interesting TR so far, worldtraveller73. Definitely not the usual FT place to relax on the beach.

Looking forward to the photo's of Havana.
Thanks for the readership DanielW - looking forward to your next adventure.