FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Customer Service Sucks/ MH Generally Sucks
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:03 am
Rami Tamimi

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by Italia27
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply and for the great info. I bought the HKT-USM ticket separately, through Bangkok Air. Like you wrote (if I understood right) it's funny that the bag was checked straight through to USM but I needed to collect it and clear customs at HKT. From info gathered from you and other kind members I've realized that the situation was neither a bad one or indicative of MH's incompetence. Rather, I'm at peace with the situation and will remember only the great in flight service from DPS-KUL and KUL-HKT. Thanks again to you and other knowledgeable and helpful members!
Many countries have a requirement to collect the bag at the first port of entry to that country (US,Russia and others). The system will still allow to tag the bag to the final destination. The advantage of doing this is that you can just drop your bag off at the counter without the agent having to open the system and print another tag for you. In the US, some airport have bag drop counters immediately after customs (so you don't have to take it up all the way to the departures hall). The point is that they want you to walk with it thru customs in case you have anything illiegal, or in excessive quantities.

The fact that MH even agreed to tag the bag thru to USM is itself surprising, because MH is known to be problematic when it comes to thru tagging on separate tickets. If you did not ask the check in staff at HKT (you have done a very smart thing by asking) and arrived USM and found out that your bag has not been loaded on the PG flight, then PG would be responsible for locating your bag and reuniting you with it. You would also be able to claim for some minor expenses (toilitearies, change of clothes e.t.c.) and while the allowance varies by airine, it would be in the region of <100$.