FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Customer Service Sucks/ MH Generally Sucks
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:15 pm
nov11

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by Italia27
Just recently had a most stressful experience flying with Malaysia, even though I paid about $612 US for a flight DPS (Bali)-KUL-HKT (Phuket). The problem was that I had a connecting flight on Bangkok Air from HKT-USM (Koh Samui) the same day. When I checked in at DPS the Malaysia Air agent clearly told me that since Malaysia Air had a baggage agreement with Bangkok Air, my bag could be checked all the way through to USM. In fact, the luggage claim tag given by the MH check-in agent at DPS read:
DPS-KUL KUL-HKT HKT-USM
I was also told by the gate agent at KUL that my bag would go through to USM.
I had 2 nice flights on MH, and when I arrived HKT I took the 10 min. or so walk from intl. to domestic terminal for my flight to USM. To my surprise I was told when I tried to get my boarding pass to USM that my bag was NOT going to USM. I had to go back to the intl. terminal, was given various misinformation by HKT airport staff, finally found my luggage and had to go BACK to domestic for check-in to USM. I was really stressed since I was worried about missing my flight to USM. Finally was able to check in at HKT at least 90 min. after arrival of my MH flight. Such a stressful experience after paying $612 to MH for business class. Since I was given wrong info by 2 MH agents. do I have any grounds for asking for a refund from MH? Sorry for the long post, but took a while to explain the situation. Many thanks for any feedback.
Definitely no grounds for refunds (and wouldn't say it's a stressful situation for me). Even if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't dare ask for a $612 USD refund for this matter.

I don't know if you bought your HKT-USM on a separate ticket or if it was on the same ticket, but if it was on a separate ticket, you are very lucky that they tagged it all the way through to USM because MH only interline bags with OW partners.

Having that said, what the MH agents at DPS and KUL said is right - your bag was tagged to USM and you should collect your bags at USM - what they probably wasn't aware was that you might need to collect your bags at the first international port of arrival. Thailand is weird in that you don't have to collect your bags at BKK (not too sure about HKT as I haven't done intl-dom transfer at HKT) if you have bags checked to certain domestic ports only.

Maybe USM doesn't support this or since 99% of HKT-USM pax are domestic only, they'll just ask the minority to collect bags at HKT and then re-check it.