FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - High number of complaints on Singapore Airlines new Premium Economy product
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:56 pm
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Interesting discussion as is similar ones on the other forums of airlines with Premium Economy (a.k.a PE, PY, PEY )

My experience with Air Canada's version shows how it can be great and well-priced or you are left looking at the prices and wondering what rev management is up to.

I consider those of us who fly AC, particularly on some of its routes to Asia, Europe etc to have been very lucky way back in 2014 when AC started taking delivery of its new 788s and then 789s.

We had PE "way back then". On these aircraft, it is a completely separate cabin, excellent seats and space in a 2-3-2 with dedicated lav(s), and curtains separating it from economy. Total seats, 24.

When I flew it for the first time in 2014, YYZ-HND (13.5 hours), the food and service were excellent. The dinner meal was exactly the same as J, but fewer choices. Served on proper dishes with glasses for wine, water etc. Snacks and breakfast were essentially what Y would get, but still better service.

I also flew AC's PE CPH-YYZ and food and service were great.

Since then, AC has had pricing for PE bounce around and either be quite decent for the distance and route (e.g.. YYZ-NRT), or be insanely high. In addition, they seem to have cut back on the better food and service. There have been more complaints on the European routes than the Asian in this regard.

On many of my flights over the past 2 years to/from Asian destinations, the PE cabin is often more than half empty, sometimes less than 6 pax total.

This can be a reflection of when AC has much higher prices on a route in PE relative to Y and J. Other times, I've paid much less for PE than what regular Y was selling for (both non-flexible, but earning full mile accrual). It was nuts.

Other airlines I've flown have not had the PE cabin as long. Some may also fly different routes and have different expectations re revenue.

Part of the challenge here is how SQ chose their seating and cabin design, part of it is the pricing and the food and service. Airlines obviously see things from the cost and profit points of view.

We fliers see things from the price and value and comfort points of view.

I will not knowingly choose to fly long-haul in PE on any aircraft that does not have a dedicated lav and a separation between PE and Y. My view is, if you are charging me more for the "Premium" part of "Premium Economy", it has to have some benefits.

Some airlines will price PE high relative to Y, but offer better value and comfort. Others still price it high, but things are not much better than Y.

The concepts of Business and Economy (Coach) are generally well understood by airlines and pax. The nonsense terminology used by U.S. airlines in recent years for the extra space accorded the front of the coach cabin (eg. Economy Comfort, Y+, MCE etc) have completely confused many fliers there.

I found my SQ Business Class experiences to have been excellent both in terms of service and food. SQ is expensive relative to some of the competition, but as long as it can maintain and continue to deliver on this "experience", one assumes there will be customers willing to buy it.

I am not sure who at SQ or the other competitive airlines chose to design their PE cabins. Assuming they manage to fill the cabin and make money, I doubt they will make changes.

Should the negative experiences become more public and vocal and should less PE seats be sold as a result, SQ may have to rethink the design and the pricing.