FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do you look for in crew? [FT News 'Crewed Talk']
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:27 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Amanda Pleva
Hi all! First off, I just wanted to thank you all for reading Crewed Talk! It really means the world to me that you've been reading and discussing the column - and if there is anything now or in the future you would like crew perspective on, feel free to grab me here or tweet me at @skygarbageman.

I have to admit to lurking through the forum to get ideas for article topics, and one has stuck in my mind for a while. Someone had asked what made a crew exceptional, and I've always wanted outside input on this as well. I know what I like - personable and attentive but also not too over the top. But someone brought up in the thread that a first class flight attendant had Googled him prior to boarding and he was very impressed with this, as he had asked about his business. I would be absolutely horrified, if that were me. This really highlighted the differences in what different people look for.

Often the flight attendants who receive the most compliments at an airline are also the ones who receive the most complaints and break the most rules. This is because they can be especially over the top, which puts people off sometimes.

At work I try to be attentive but fairly invisible. I try to blend into the background, but if a passenger chats me up I will absolutely engage them. I allow people to set the tone they want for the flight.

What would you like from a crew? And what DON'T you like from a crew?

Thanks!
Amanda
I guess generally I like an approach similar to what you describe for yourself. I'm low maintenance so I don't need fawning and constant interaction. Do a solid job of delivering the expected stuff for that cabin and flight (meal, or drinks or whatever the case may be) and be available if I do happen to need something and I'll be perfectly satisfied. That said, I'm not offended or anything if an FA is more outgoing or interacts a bit more - just that I don't need it.

But that's just me and I'm sure with 10 people on here you'll get 11 different opinions! I think if you take your cue from the passenger and be flexible in that way, it's hard to go wrong. My $.02 anyway.