FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LIVE: Plane spotting trip to Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:31 pm
megaloman

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Day 1 - positioning flight

Flight: BA570 LHR ✈ LIN
Aircraft: Airbus A321 G-EUXG
Gate: B37

I have checked for the flight without issues the night before - a typical one-way flight within Europe. Then in the morning between meetings at work I attempted to check-in for my flights from Linate. I did expect a passport check requirement, similar to what I had during my Weekend trip to Costa Rica. What I did not expect was this:

The fun fact was - I did not enter my passport details and my passport is stored on the Executive Club account... asked BA customer service on twitter, what that message meant only to be told they don't provide advice on visas!

Eventually got to my laptop so I could try to check in on-line, this time message was a bit better worded:

A bit of relief! Expecting issues at the airport, headed there as soon as I could - left the office around 2:30pm taking Jubilee, Bakerloo and Heathrow Express. All went smooth, got to the airport in less than an hour.

As soon as I got to the check in desk and got the boarding pass for my positioning flight (I collect them), I've asked to be checked in for my flights next day - a very friendly agent checked me in without issues and I got all my boarding passes. Yay, I was good to go!

South security Fast Track was a breeze - I was second in the line and no one asked me to scan my boarding pass at the top of the queue

Once in First Class lounge I had a quick late lunch - chicken jalfrezi:

Then I settled in the quiet spot to make another phone call and check some work stuff.

Departures were from 27L, so I could see departing aircraft - they were backlit and quite high, so I just watched them. Unfortunately the way T5 is built does not help taking photos of fast moving aircraft:

It's ok to take photos if they depart from 9R - they're close just in front of the building.

Around 5:00pm I enquired about the departure gate - I was told BA570 would depart from B gates, so decided to move there to check out the B-gates Club lounge! It's been open for ages and despite the fact I flew from T5B a number of times, I actually never had a chance to visit the T5B lounge...

On the way to T5 satellite B I managed to snap a photo of G-ZBKL - what a lovely aircraft!

I found it in much better condition than Galleries lounges at the main terminal building. Also there were a lot less people around which made it feel really nice. Here's some photos:

Food offering was on par with what you can get at main terminal lounges:

At 6:00pm I headed down to the gate B37. There was a long queue formed of priority passengers as the pre-boarding has already started.

When the Club Europe and Gold card holders were called for boarding it turned out most of them were not eligible, so it created a bit of a mess with some people pushing forward while others stayed where they were.

I settled in my seat 1F, noticed that due to rain I won't be able to take photo of aircraft around Heathrow... it was getting dark (expected) and my window was covered in rain drops...

I managed to catch the daily Iberia widebody - today A330:

And a glimpse of Heathrow Terminal 5:

Service started around 20 minutes after departure and due to large Club cabin (up to row 12 I think) it started with meal and then drinks. Cabin was almost full, but cabin crew was very efficient in handling food and drinks (drinks trolley followed the meals trolley).

The choice was chicken skewers with couscous salad or cod with vegetables on mashed potatoes bedding. I went for the fish option accompanied by glass of gin and tonic:

Food was hot and very tasty, I wouldn't mind to have another one

I've watched some in-flight entertainment

Looked out through the window as we've passed by Turin on approach to Linate:

1h30 minutes from the departure we've touched down at Milan Linate. It was pretty standard Club Europe flight, with great crew.

On arrival we've been taken by bus to the terminal building - I think that's a standard procedure for BA flights arriving at Linate. We'll compare tomorrow!

I do like going through the airport by bus as usually you can spot some interesting aircraft.

It took me less than 10 minutes from touchdown to exit the terminal building - immigration was a breeze, then short walk to exit.

I've booked myself a room at the hotel nearby the airport. Planned to take the taxi there... but seeing the queue at the taxi rank and looking at google maps which estimated 9 minutes walk... decided on the later. It was dry and refreshing outside. After I've passed by parking lots I could see the big red logo of my hotel in the distance. As google preditect, it took me around 10 minutes to get there. Quick check-in, got to my room which turned out to be extremely small but well equipped and functional. No desk, but should be enough for a night. Here's my view from the bed:

Time to go to sleep!