FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does AA not late check bags / baggage?
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:18 am
no2chem

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by pinniped
Some airlines even slap a big fat "LATE" tag on late-checked-in bags. (Seems like that tag would be moot if the airline also moved the passenger to some much-later flight.) This is obviously done in some cases, and has been done for me on AA as well as other airlines, so clearly there isn't a universal answer.

If the OP was present 55 minutes prior to flight time at SJC, at seems like both he and the bag should have made it relatively easily. (Did the bag make it?) The *more* irritating part would have been the 15 minutes in the priority line. That simply shouldn't happen.
Yeah, seems inconsistent based on reports here. Would be nice to know what the real policy is (I would think if it's permitted, the policy should be that it is allowed, right?) It seems stupid to force me to standby on a later flight (which might actually cost them something extra) when I was willing to voluntarily separate with the bag. But yeah, that agent seemed pretty adamant about it not being permitted, I even suggested several ways around, such as just putting me on standby on the later flight and checking the bag on the later flight, but she refused. And she got really upset when I brought up my wait in the priority line, telling me that she had to help other pax with exceptional situations first (while I was standing in queue I mentioned that my flight was departing soon, but no.. they kept taking pax from the regular line for some PHX flight...)

Maybe relevant, is that I've noted whenever I encounter this kind of resistance it's with pmUS agents (why do they still wear their USAir tags? A matter of pride? based on my experiences not something to be proud of anyway).

And no, it seems the bag did not make it. I'm sitting at the connecting airport right now and it seems the tag hasn't been scanned.