FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)
View Single Post
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:50 pm
acarney

Originally Posted by Madone59
MS isn't breaking any laws. I have had this conversation at length with member of several agencies I work with. They don't care about us.

Don't buy more than you can float. You never know when you'll get stuck with them!
I've had the same question... while it's not illegal, I would still be worried that my bank would find it very curious that I was depositing $20k+ of money orders into my account... especially if I didn't have a small business account with the bank. I wouldn't be worried about going to jail or anything, but I would be worried about an investigation being opened. How come no one here seems to worry about that? (I figure even with all paperwork being saved and KNOWING it's legal, it's probably still a pain to be investigated)

Or do banks really not care? I worked as a teller for a national bank for six months or so as a second job and my teller manager would question large amounts of money orders being deposited on a routine basis without an explanation, especially if money was then withdrawn near the same amounts within a short (same day or one or two days later time frame).

Also, for money orders, how do you fill them out when it comes to TO/FROM? I can't imagine FROM *my name* to *my name* would fly by without extra questions. Is it ok to leave the from part blank? Would the raise questions?

I've been using my money orders to pay off bills but I'm running out of stuff to pay off and would still like to MS occasionally.